Sort your CIS tax refund with confidence

Our expert advisors and licenced accountants help construction workers get their tax refund quickly and easily. No confusing HMRC lingo. A straightforward process. Simple.

Book a call with us

Sort your CIS tax refund with confidence

Our expert advisors and licenced accountants help construction workers get their tax refund quickly and easily. No confusing HMRC lingo. Straightforward process. Simple.

Book a call with us

Filing your tax return with Finmo

1. Jump on a quick call

Book in a call with one of our team. We’ll ask you a few questions about your situation to make sure that we sort a plan and price that works for you.

2. Tell us about your income and expenses

Send us your income and expenses for the year, or pull up your bank transactions (read-only) in our secure, FCA-regulated app or portal. You can then easily tag all of your income and expense transactions.

3. Partner with an accountant

When you choose one of our Self Assessment plans, you’ll get partnered with a licenced accountant. They’ll help you sort your tax refund with ease.

4. Upload your documents

When you decide to file, we’ll guide you through uploading the right documents, like CIS statements, a proof of ID and address. We’ll also tell you what receipts you might need, like for business purchases over £1000. 

5. Let us take care of the rest

One of our licenced accountants will review and make sure your tax return is done properly. Then, with your sign-off, we’ll submit it for you.

Book a call

We’ve created a better way to manage tax.

Just ask our customers

“Finmo was a great option for me when it came to dealing with taxes as a freelancer. It’s easy to use and the team is knowledgeable and helpful. Would recommend!”


“Really easy to use the software, and JD from Finmo was excellent in terms of being prompt, available and above all helpful :).”


“Had a great experience with Finmo and would definitely recommend. Being able to ask questions specific to my situation made everything much easier. Great customer service with a very personal approach, as well as an easy-to-use interface on the app.”


“An easy-to-use platform that finally lets me manage all of my tax stuff in one place. I have a few different sources of income which has always made managing business expenses etc. quite tricky in the past, but now I can streamline the whole process.”


“Thanks for the quick responses, you’re a million times more helpful than my last accountant already…!”

Cei, Sound Engineer, UK

Tailored to fit your unique situation

  • Sole traders
  • Multi-job
  • Freelancers
  • PAYE plus side income
  • First time tax filers
  • Investors
  • Sub-contractors
  • Landlords

Why use Finmo?

Stress-free tax

Our tax return portal simplifies the Self Assessment process. Unlike with HMRC’s site, our handy prompts, questions and explanations help you pull the information you need together. And we’ll handle all the complicated bits for you. 

Expert accountants

Our advisors and accountants work with you to make sure you catch every expense and you get a great tax refund.

Pricing that suits you

Our plans start at £119 + VAT. We’ll chat you through the options first to make sure we get the right plan for you.

Safe and secure

Finmo uses bank-level security with Open Banking letting you securely pull up your bank transactions (read-only). We make sure your data is safe. 

Book a call with us


How do CIS tax deductions work?

The contractor you’re working under will deduct money from your payments and pass it to HMRC. These deductions count as advance payments towards the tax and National Insurance that you pay. As part of this process, you often end up paying more tax than you need to. That’s why it’s important to file a tax return – so you can understand what refunds may be available to you.

What work is covered by CIS?

For the purpose of CIS, construction work includes:

  • Preparing the site – for example, laying foundations and providing access works
  • Demolition and dismantling
  • Building work
  • Alterations, repairs and decorating
  • Installing systems for heating, lighting, power, water and ventilation
  • Cleaning the inside of buildings after construction work

What work isn’t covered by CIS?

You don’t have to register if you only do certain jobs, including:

  • Architecture and surveying
  • Scaffolding hire (with no labour)
  • Carpet fitting
  • Making materials used in construction including plant and machinery
  • Delivering materials
  • Carrying out work on construction sites that’s clearly not construction – for example, running a canteen or site facilities

What if I’ve been using a different expense and income tracker?

No worries. If you wanted to import your data without using Finmo’s tracker, we can do that for you. We do this free of charge for those with our Complete package. For those with our Lite package, it’s just an extra one-off fee of £25 + VAT.

What if I don’t want to use Finmo’s app and just want to send in my expense list?

No problem, we can sort this for you. It’ll be free of charge for those with our Complete package, and for those with our Lite package, we’ll charge a one-off fee of £25 + VAT.